10/09/2008

The coolest sci fi deaths

Check this out: The 12 Coolest Deaths in Science Fiction History (mostly movie) . Add your own favorite if it's not on the list!

28 comments:

bryson paramorefan2 said...

For sheer hilariousness, the death or Arnold Rimmer from Red Dwarf, his last words, gespacho soup, and for coolest looking the death of General Greivous, however he redeemed himself, the creator of the list, by putting biggs on the list

Alisha said...

His name was Spock.

bryson paramorefan2 said...

I concede to that

bryson paramorefan2 said...

Would've been interesting to talk about some of the deaths in Blade Runner

Anonymous said...

The only deaths of those 12 that I have actually seen is the death of the Terminator and the death of Spock.

When I try thinking of other cool deaths that are Sci-Fi related, it's sort of hard to think of any. But it does get you thinking about Sci-Fi deaths more.

James Farley said...

If Kirk really had said simply "his name was Spock" I would have died right here, in my chair, of laughter.

My nomination for best sci fi death would be an entire planet: earth getting paved over for an intergalactic highway in the beginning of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Alisha said...

I never actually seen Blade Runner.
I'm not a huge horror movie fan, they scare me waaaaay too much.

For instance: the other night, my brothers were watching Resident Evil, and that one part at the beginning were they all get cut up by the blue laser? Yeah. I had nightmares.

bryson paramorefan2 said...

Don't feel bad, I hadn't seen blade runner until last year, and then I was watching the director's cut which is even creepier than the original becouse they cut out the narration by harrison ford, also I'd classify blade runner as scifi horror

Grand Moff Tarkin said...

I'm glad they had the terminator and biggs death.

One death that I think would have been awesome is when Chewbacca dies in the new jedi order books. He gets crushed by a planet. Thats awesome to me.

Anonymous said...

James - Considering the fact that in class we watched the Star Trek Original Series episode "The Way To Eden" and Spock said "His name was Adam" after finding Adam dead from eating a piece of fruit on Planet Eden, I wouldn't be too surprised if that line was actually true. It's been awhile since I've seen the episode, so I wouldn't know for sure the whole dialouge said. I just remember both Kirk and Spock doing the Vulcan greeting gesture against the glass.

Everyone - How many of you can do the Vulcan greeting gesture? If you can do it, which hand are you able to? Are you able to do it on both?
If you can't - don't feel bad. Zachary Quinto (who is playing Spock in the new Star Trek movie) had to practice constantly in order to do the Vulcan greeting sign. :)

Recovery Roxx said...

I can do that vulcan greeting sign on both hands... oh and did I mention I have pointy ears? (just kidding)

Alisha said...

Had Blade Runner been about those vampire things? And then there was that one that was a manpire, so he could walk around in the day?

Michelle said...

The death of terminator in the first movie was hilarious to me just because it took so much just to kill him. He just kept on crawling for so long.

Michelle said...

Also in Star Trek in the last movie of Captain Kirk dies. After all those years he still hasn't gotten any acting lessons.:)

James Farley said...

Alisha, I think you're thinking of Blade with Wesley Snipes and not Blade Runner with Harrison Ford. I think. I haven't seen Blade Runner.

I liked how the Terminators were so incredibly difficult to kill in the movies, but in the TV show it seems like they're killing a terminator each episode. Most of the terminators are too easy to kill, except the one that looks like that actor dude that killed a bunch of FBI agents. It's ridiculous, but I still like it because I'm admittedly a big fan of Summer Glau.

Andrew DiZinno said...

i always thought the aliens popping out of people's chests in the aliens movies were kind of a cool scifi death. a funny and kinda gory death was in the movie Slither where a guy was almost split in half

anyone have any favorite fantasy movie/book deaths that they thought were good?
the lady getting shot with a poisonus snake in conan was an interesting one.

bryson paramorefan2 said...

alish you're thing of the blade trilogy, blade runner is about androids going rogue like in I' Robot, and as far as fantasy deaths go then I'd say my fav would be the death of gollum, we has our precious hahaha

bryson paramorefan2 said...

feel free to e-mail me so i can add you guys to messinger if you wnat to talk outside of here

Alisha said...

James and Bryson,

You guys were right. Blade has vampires, Blade Runner doesn't.

Life makes so much more sense now...

Andrew DiZinno said...

most of the crew of moya on farscape, john chriton, d'argo, aeryn sun, and many more, had some neat deaths too. and lots of them died more than once

a dog swallowing an entire alien fleet in hitch hikers guide to the galaxy was awsome

anyone have any cool deaths in any stories they have written ??
i wrote a very cheesy story set on a space ship where the chief cook was eaten by some man eating plants he mistakenly thawed out before cooking. his name was chief MacNuggete hehe

Rachel said...

Ok I have to admit... I don't know any of those deaths/movies except I have seen ONE. Terminator. Ha, and I agree that death definitely deserved to make it into the top 12.

James Farley said...

Here's the question though: was it really a death, considering the terminator was a robot and not technically alive to begin with?

Captain_Vimes said...

Star Wars, Babylon 5, Trigun, Serenity, and X-Files spoilers.

Since they didn't make a big enough deal over Kenobi's death on Star Wars, I am not surprised it is absent from the list. However, what about Quigon Jinn from Phantom Menace?! Come on! He was brilliant!

Come to that, what about Padme? Her death in Revenge of the Sith was a bit of a tear jerker.

And yes, I would have to agree that Spock's death was one of the saddest moments in Star Trek history.

But then the producers must have had the X-Men mentality where "no one dies completely."

SPOILER WARNING FOR SERENITY:

Also, Wash's death was brief but he was an excellent character. And Booke could have used a mention as well.

Am I the only one who has seen Babylon 5? Marcus Cole was the coolest character and he died at the end of season four.

That's two shows where the comic relief is killed off.

Not to mention Trigun where Wolfwood dies.

Furthermore, though I haven't seen this episode, the Lone Gunmen lock themselves in with a disease carrying supersoldier in the second to last X-Files episode, dying a heroes death. I feel sorry for Biers and that he never saw the government chick he saved again.

hannahcat said...

ok- definitely coolest was spock- but thats because the audience is sooo wrapped up in the emotional impact of the moment and spocks sacrifice that it has to hit you somewhere in the gut wishing or wondering if there was someone who would do that for you if you were in the same situation.

Chels said...

I love to read

Chels said...

Nothing can be better than a good book!

violet said...

Deaths in books are always so emotional, especially in a series. I always get so mad when a character has to die for a stupid reason. It eats at me. Dumbledore's death in Harry Potter was a pretty dramatic scene, although it was more fantasy than science fiction. The motive behind his pleading and the flips in the air, topped by Fawkes' crying was so sad.

violet said...

Striker's death in Alien 3000 is really gory. He's this tough guy trying to light his cigar with his gun when he starts coughing up blood. All of a sudden this alien hand rips out of his stomach and the guy stands there with his eyes fogging over, then he falls over a rock out of sight. Everyone starts screaming and a translucent alien appears, pulling the machine guns out of their hands. That movie Sunshine was awesome, too, and Doctor Who deaths are usually pretty funny because they're so low key.