10/15/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(23)
- ► 11/16 - 11/23 (2)
- ► 11/09 - 11/16 (3)
- ► 11/02 - 11/09 (1)
- ► 10/26 - 11/02 (2)
- ► 10/19 - 10/26 (4)
- ► 10/05 - 10/12 (5)
- ► 09/28 - 10/05 (3)
- ► 09/21 - 09/28 (1)
14 comments:
I thnik that it was interesting how heinlein came up with using a hermaphrodite as the main character of the story and how jane is at fault for every event in his life
I think this is the strangest short story I have ever read in my whole life...
Heinlein definitely de-romanticizes time travel by showing the main character skipping from one point to the other. Jane always must recruit herself and the whole circular process of doing this is…bizarre…Anyway it seems this circular process is never ending for Jane and she/he seems to be stuck in different times and years all of the time, always with a purpose. I wonder what would happen if Jane had not taken the baby of herself back to the orphanage and just raised herself…?
The story was very interesting and odd. After I had read it, I was still trying to determine whether I had read it correctly that all of the characters were the same person of different times or whatever.
Though I love the fact that Heinlein ended up mentioning the song "I'm My Own Grandpaw", because the song and this story have very similar parallels of the odd connections to one's family members and what not.
Kissa-Hime, yes, all the characters are the same person at different times. Does anybody think it seems at all like karma, different "being" at different times for different experiences to enlighten the self, or is it even more other than that?
I wonder is he's really talking about personal responsibility. People often seek to blame others for what goes wrong in their lives, when it's really their own fault. Jane's experiences are a more obvious, direct example of this. Everything that happened in Jane's life had been done by himself.
I just have one question did he have a baby with himself?
This story was a very interesting take on time travel because most other typical time travel stories they go way way back in time or to this weird future. This is making it an every day event.
Also if he recruited himself then who recruited him in the very beginning or is it some kind of circle?
I agree pretty much with everyone above. This was definitely the strangest short story I've read. It was odd, interesting, but very entertaining, to say the least. But I do agree with Peter and think it might be leaning towards personal responsibility. There are other themes in the story as well, but I think that might be kind of a hidden one... or something along those lines.
As soon as Jane handed himself (herself?) the stack of hundreds, I started realizing what was about to happen. "OMG NO" my brain screamed at me. It was just too weird. I literally put my hand to my mouth and said "good lawd!" This is bizarre and disturbing. But anyways, let's get down to the science!
My question is: how did this loop start?
Does this loop just repeat itself eternally? Would each turn around this crazy incestuous time-carousel further the degree of inbreeding going on?
What would you do in his/her place? If you don't go back in time and convince yourself to go back further in time and do yourself, you won't exist!
What a tweest!
This story REALLY made my brain hurt. But I thought it was interesting, yes, how they were meeting themselves that way - gives a new meaning to deja vu and seeing yourself in a different light.
Wow. That story was intense. I liked the reincarnation aspect of it, where everyone just loops over and over. Weird existence though..
It was definitely an interesting read, but I had trouble understanding who was talking at times.
i had to read this one a few times even with the expectation of twists- mostly because of the zombie tag line. Grand- i used a colored pencil to underline where the main character was talking to help figure out who was at the mike so to speak, but had to go back and draw a "map" to determine where in time he was. other than that it was a challenging and ultimately interesting story. (once you figured the format out.)
hmn, well I wonder what I can say that already hasn't been said. I enjoyed the story in it's sick and twisted way though (I found the time traveling just a tad confusing at times--but it all made sense in the end) I must agree with James though: "how did it start?"
crazy stuff, makes you think
This story was pretty crazy, but i enjoyed it thoroughly. Using time travel to communicate with your past selves, and recruit them. Its a crazy paradox, but wouldnt you be able to recognize your future self?
Post a Comment