10/05/2008

scifi vs real science

do you think it is possible that "real" science fact can actually be based off of science fiction?

19 comments:

goose said...

this was a post i did for this last week but i was not sure if any one had read it so...

if you look through out history, stories have been told that can or could have been considered science fiction even if there was no book or it didnt have that title yet, and through those stories one might just get an idea, and want to start experimenting, and attempt to make it a reality, as far as the technological side of it is concerned. yes that one person may not succeed but it will eventually become fact, whether it be 10yrs or 100yrs in turn most things if not all things that were "scifi" in the 60's and earlier have become some sort of a reality. some things that were science fiction and are now fact would be air planes space stations space ships(aka space shuttles) cars, guns, laser technology, fax machines, computers. all these things were once in stories which in turn would make them science fiction, but now are fact. so whats your guys' opinion?

Recovery Roxx said...

I absolutely agree with you, goose. I think that science fiction has a reciprocal relationship with science fact, wherein they draw energy and ideas from each other. Perhaps a good science fiction writer is truly a scientist with a pen; someone who understands our current technological position and can extrapolate plausible future events and technologies. The difference is that scientists suspend belief, which science fiction writers suspend dis-belief.

-Racquel

Teh_pelt said...

cell phones and star trek communicators? blue tooth head sets and those weird phone things in minority report? both seem fairly convinsing

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised that the strange connection between science fiction and real science comes up. It's very possible that some random scientist(s) read someone's science fiction story, and got the strange idea of maybe actually trying to create said object. That... or it could be that scientists or any people were talking about the ideas and the writers/authors overheard it and got the inspiration to write a story on what could possibly happen if such events did occur.

Nancy T said...

Goose, check this out:
http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/18282/
http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2004/03/62874 (2004, but worth looking at)
http://www.empsfm.org/exhibitions/index.asp?categoryID=203

I think we should all take a field trip to the Science Fiction Hall of Fame....

Scully said...

This kind of concerns time. What is past, present, and future? (Haha a bit of a sciency thing in itself) Which I'm really too lazy to get into.
But, I think it's a beautiful loop. The writers inspire the inventors, they run these once fictional devices into real items, which in turn inspires the writers.

bryson paramorefan2 said...

@Nancy, yeah it is just up the road in seattle, on the other side of emp, or is that just a scifi museum? @Christine, I agree, look at where thay took the human genome project in heroes, also for anyone who is a fan of jeph loeb's writing style you can check out his run on the x-men comics

HeidiG said...

I think Science fiction is based on real science fact. I mean human can imagine and create things only through their own knowledge. Take Frankenstien their knowledge of the human body and medicine was becomig more advanced. But as you noticed shelley didnt really go into detail on how the whole science thing really went on creating The monster. As she was a woman and women werent really aloud to hear that kind of knowledge it didnt really surprise me that they didn't go into detail. Overall human knowledge is the bases to all creative things.

Anonymous said...

Nancy - Where is this Science Fiction Hall of Fame?

Scully - Interesting question about time. And for some reason when I read that I thought of Hiro from NBC Heroes and the various other characters that have time traveled in the series. Not to mention how people from one time era end crossing over into another time era - i.e. Future Peter in the Present.

goose said...

Nancy i think it would be a great experience, for us to go to the scifi museum/ hall of fame. would we be able to go this quarter?

bryson paramorefan2 said...

spoiler alert!!! yeah christine as they brought back adam this week

Peter Gross said...

I heard there's a guy trying to build a speeder bike like in Star Wars. His doesn't look much like the ones in the movies, but it was inspired by them. Really, all technology is driven by imagination. Someone imagines something and sets out trying to make it. Sci-Fi helps spark imagination.

Captain_Vimes said...

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole idea of scientology based off of a science fiction story?

Also, I think scientists do get some ideas from the possibilities presented by science fiction - I remember an article in the Oregonian a couple years detailing the gadgets in the old James Bond movies (mobile phones, for example) and how they came to life a few years after the movies were released or something along those lines.

I don't remember exactly which movie, but the sequence with Pierce Brosnan driving the car via cell-phone type remote seems like something scientists would work on - after all, we already have remotes that open the sliding doors, the trunk, the hood, that lock the car, and set off the alarm. True, it's a leap, but still in the realm of possibility.

bryson paramorefan2 said...

to everyone interested the scifi hall of fame is in seattle in the same building as emp, I've been there the exhibits are great and the inductees are some of the greatest scifi writers ever

Jeannie Duong said...

I agree that there is definately a relationship between science fiction and real science in the world. I mean, as many of you have already pointed out, there is a loop that occurs. Writers think of amazing ideas and inventors find a scientific way of making those ideas come to life.

But what I kinda wonder about is... if the inventors themselves didn't exactly come up with the idea but the sci fi writter did, would it technically still be called their "invention?" I mean, the idea came from a fictional source but none-the-less, it did come from someone else beside the inventor. Just kind of a random thought I guess. :]

hannahcat said...

first off YES to the field trip to the scifi museum! Now that i got that out of the way Anyone ever heard of the Mobius Strip? There is a possibly not so far fetched idea that the time-space continuum is actually similar to a mobius strip. For those who are not familiar with the strip- simply take a narrow piece of paper, give it a half twist then tape the ends together in a loop. If you start at one end of the paper (where you connected the ends) and you draw a line down the middle without stopping or lifting the pen, you end up back where you started AND you will have drawn a line on both sides of the paper. My dad ( who taught 4th grade science) used this to demonstrate that 2 sided objects can become 1 sided. the kids loved it. I am going to keep looking for the site that talks about the mobius strip and its connection to science and possibly science fiction. will keep you posted.

Nancy T said...

Re: Sci Fi Hall of Fame, let me see what I can do. It wouldn't be required (providing I can get Clark to let me do it) and it would probably have to be on a Saturday. I'll make some inquiries...

Anonymous said...

o yea for sure. from what ive noticed and im sure a lot of you guys have too is that science back then was not nearly as tech advanced as it is today, so some of the older sci fi books or fantasy may have been unatainable then, but common now ya know?

shadowprancer said...

I think that science fiction is based off of real science fiction. Look at the stories of space travel and inventions of hover crafts (the Jetsons!) and other technologies, authors wrote about them long before space travel and other technology was invented. I wonder sometimes whether the creative inventions of some of these authors were written so they could have someone see their ideas and their ideas turned into a physicality.