11/13/2008

New Age?

They Made Frogs Smoke 'til they Exploded:




If this could be called New Age art, then I guess I love New Age art.

But just wondering,
would this be considered New Age art to any of you?

19 comments:

goose said...

wheres the frog? ok that was one of the weirdest things ive ever seen..... interesting but weird.

James Farley said...

It kind of reminds me of those little stop-motion videos they used to show on Sesame Street where they teach ya how to count. They always creeped me out as a child, but I'm diggin' the music here.

Alisha said...

Ha! You're right...there was no frog...

Anonymous said...

That was very strange. It reminds me of things they used to put on OPB.

Chadsius said...

Intense video..silly Europeans.

Rachel said...

I agree, weiiiird! And where exactly was the frog? Ha, I'd have to say that I think the person that made this was doin a little more smokin' than the frog was...

shadowprancer said...

Yeah that was really bizarre. The crying blood and the ripping of limbs and heads seemed a little depressing and grim. At least at the end the ripped off bunny head was sewed back on...

Scully said...

Haha! Am I the only one who liked it? And honesty I really didn't find it that weird (if you want wierd check out Rejected by Don Hertzfeld or RubberJohnny). I thought it was quite artistic and definately in a new age sense. It has no meaning, and it lets you decide what to make out of it. Yes, there was no frog, the title just attributed to the randomness of it.

Anonymous said...

What an interesting film. I like how there's the stop-action filming of them drawing the various things and the different art/craft things they showed. Other than that, I don't really know what to say about it.

Recovery Roxx said...

I totally agree with Skully. It was cool and fun to watch - the music was in stark contrast to some of the images. I liked the blending of innocence and what... evil? well, anyway it was cool. I think it is new age art. Leaves a lot open to interpretation.
Racquel.

Andrew DiZinno said...

that was pretty weird. by the way we should play sci fi jeopardy in class again, i thought it was fun

Anonymous said...

I agree with Andrew that playing the Sci-Fi Jeopardy was pretty fun. Though I would suggest sticking with Sci-Fi material that is pretty familiar with most people. Half of the stuff that was mentioned in the game we did play I had never heard of, and doesn't make the game very fun when no one knows the answer.

Anonymous said...

i liked the game we played for Brysons presentation, but i think if he would have gone over ?s we might have learned from class or the readings. but it was a lot of fun. i was thinking of doing something similar. but im not for sure yet. and about that video of new age art, is interesting to say the least, haha. it was pretty artistic but to the extreme. cool stuff

Anonymous said...

I actually really liked it as well. I think that I would go as far to call it New Age art, or maybe even a form of progressive art. I think to many times we can pass over abstract art in confusion, but once you truly dig into it, it can become something quite incredible and personal. I don't mind art that allows varying interpretations. I think that is the place of art, if anything should be left to interpretation its art. That's what's great about it. When you watch this video you maybe get something completely different from me, but in the end we're both right. It is not the same in other facets of academia.

bryson paramorefan2 said...

This video was really interesting, I liked your presentation today alisha, and fyi nancy I won't be in class friday as I have a doctor's appointment for tommorow and friday

Bryson p.s. my thinking on the jeopardy questions was that I wanted to educate everyone with a slight challenge, but maybe I went too far outside the box

Nancy T said...

OK, so I would definitely call it postmodern. New Age? I don't know; I'm not sure what makes :New Age" art. I'll tell you what this reminds me of: the 60s. In fact, I think it has shades of both Sgt Pepper and Monty Python techniques (Monty Python was brilliant at using animation and splicing it into the story line as a way of breaking apart reality). ANyway, it's a great fidn and I love it!

Jeannie Duong said...

I'm a little loss, so were there not supposed to be any frogs in that video? haha :]

Well in my opinion, I found that video to be slightly ironic in a sense. It played really upbeat music and the cartoon drawings kinda made me think that it was trying to give the viewer a happy and carefree vibe but at the same time, the drawings were pretty dark. I mean there was like blood and stuff coming out of the people's face and eyes. It seems ironic to put that together with happy music and pictures.

violet said...

I agree with Jeannie. They set everything up to be happy and Disney-like, then turn it into a horror movie. Kind of reminds me of that video we watched in class, Bambi Meets Godzilla. Bambi was just minding his own business. What's with tormenting the woodland creatures?

Jeannie Duong said...

Remember how at the beginning of the quarter we said science fiction dealt with a twisted reality? Well in these cases, I think that's just it. It's twisted cause they uses such an innocent and peaceful character like Bambi and makes the story plot twisted and sad.