10/31/2008

Richard Strauss and the Tenth Dimension

Hi,e veryone. That video this morning was pretty weird, I've gotta say. I wish I had time to click through all the connected videos. Maybe by then I'd be in the tenth dimension. Aside from the totally manic presentation, what do you think about New Agey claims like this (like the Pleaideans' advice to earth people being channeled through people like Barbara Marciniak; can we consider that stuff science fiction? Do we have to allow for the possibility that it could be real?

I also wanted to share this information about Richard Strauss with you. Do you think that this information expands your udnerstanding of the story at all? Do you see any connections? If so, what?

12 comments:

Grand Moff Tarkin said...

In my opinion nothing is impossible on improbably or unlikely. So the whole different dimension thing could be possible. It was definitely confusing though.

Nancy T said...

Grand Moff Tarkin, science fiction side, how can nothing be impossible? In our universe, after all, we are still governed by the laws of physics and certain biological laws, no, even if we don't yet know what they all are. So, wouldn't it be impossible for us to all wake up tomorrow and not need to breathe oxygen, or for gravity to somehow be irrelevant for ten minutes starting at 6:31 this evening?

Recovery Roxx said...

I think this 10th dimension stuff is a science fiction idea. This stuff is pure speculation, with little basis in reality as we know it. That is not to say that it couldn't possibly be proven to be true someday (although some of it seems far-fetched, some of it also seems potentially plausible - the idea of multiple universes is intriguing to me). Space travel was once pure science fiction and it became a reality. This is a theme we've been discussing - is there a connection between science fiction and science fact? Does science fiction predict a scientific future? or is it mere imagination?
Racquel.

Rachel said...

That video was extremely confusing and hard to follow. I don't say that it's impossible to have 10 dimensions and multiple universes, but I just find it unlikely. This is definitely a science fiction idea. However, my view could be changed if they found scientific proof or something along those lines. It's just too hard to follow with not enough actual fact in there for me to think that it could be possible. But hey, science fiction doesn't need to have true facts in there either, so as for it being just simple sci fi, I think it does a good job and tells of an interesting theory.

shadowprancer said...

In response to your question recovery roxx, I do believe that science fiction is based on scientific fact no matter how loosely. I do believe that anything is possible, but I do believe that in some cases, a lot of time must pass, and a lot of research must be performed in order for something to become possible. For example, Nancy, I think it could be possible that we may be able to live without O2, but it would require many thousands or millions of years for us to evolve into anaerobic beings (if you believe in evolution), and some gradual change in the Earth's atmosphere would have to occur to enable the need for the adaptation.

My question is, does sci-fi have an impact on the development of new technology? Do you think it is possible that some sci-fi author's gave scientists ideas to further the development of technology? Or do you think sci-fi authors have an influence over the general public to accept new technologies more quickly?

Michelle said...

I couldn't see this video as a truth, but as science fiction it could be used. A lot of science is theory and science fiction can be an exaggeration of these theories or even a construed fact. So even though this video is only a theory however unlikely, it can be used for science fiction.As for its factual basis I do not wish to condone such a contradicting theory.

Michelle said...

To Brittany Pedersen,
I think that science fiction authors or movie makers usually do research on there subjects and then try to build something on top of it. They try to create a story by seeing the possible future and it is possible that it also influences what scientists might try to strive for.

James Farley said...

Ah, quantum physics: the dreams stuff are made of.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Wrinkle in Time yet. That's exactly what this video was talking about: bending dimensions through higher dimensions in order to create shortcuts and stuff. The first thing I thought of when watching that video was "hey, didn't Madeleine L'engle already do this in science fiction?"

Scully said...

Haha I agree with James! This is totally Wrinkle in Time stuff!
I was talking to my friend about this on Halloween night. The concept of different dimensions where speed/time moved differently, life wasn't carbon based, gravity didn't exist (that would change the universe entirely). Ah, nice brain candy.

Nancy T said...

Bravo on the Wrinkle in Time catch. For folks who haven;t read it, it's by Madeleine L'Engle. I like this idea that we perceive time as linear because of our own perceptual limitations, like the Flatlander. Speaking of that, here it is: Flatland

Do you think the "real" Richard Strauss is important to the story, or is it unimportant who the composer is, as long as there's a composer? Could it have as easily been Beethoven, do you think?

Captain_Vimes said...

I agree. It was confusing and I might understand it if I watched it over again for five times. Some of those curves looked like a partial sketch of the human brain - I can just imagine a Science Fiction writer using that connection to say that humans are the 11th dimension or something strange like that...

HeidiG said...

I think the tenth dimension was very hard to understand with all the pop ups around it, but i agree with the person who said that it is science fiction based on the fact that it is very far fetched but it doesnt rule it out completely for there is some science behind it. I mean people in the 1930's probably would have laughed at someone who talked about a cell phone, with signals coming from satillites from space.